- 300ml fresh espresso – 5 double shots
- 2tbsp Marsala
- 300g Ladyfingers, or homemade sponge
- 500g mascarpone
- 4 medium eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
- Prepare the coffee using an espresso machine, if you have one. Mix the fresh coffee with the Marsala wine. Leave in a large bowl to cool until ready to use.
- Separate the eggs, with whites in a clean, large bowl and yolks in another. Using an electric hand whisk, whisk the egg whites on the highest setting until stiff peaks form. The egg should not move when the bowl is tilted.
- Next, whisk the egg yolks with sugar until pale and fluffy, for around 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the mascarpone cheese to a bowl and gently stir to soften. Once the egg yolks are fluffy, add into the mascarpone cheese. Stir until fully combined.
- Using a large metal spoon, add in 2 large spoons of whipped egg whites. Fold these in using a figure of 8 motion, so the air isn’t knocked out. Once the two spoons are incorporated, add the rest of the egg whites, ensuring to gently incorporate into the mixture.
- Next, dip the Ladyfingers into the coffee mixture for 2-3 seconds each. The sponge should be coated, but not soggy.
- Layer each sponge finger tightly next to each other into a dish of your choice. Once they are arranged over the base of the dish, spoon over the mascarpone mixture and gently spread over the sponge fingers.
- Repeat another layer of Ladyfingers, then another layer of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat until the ingredients have been used up.
- Lightly dust the top of the tiramisu with cocoa powder and serve chilled.