Experience the comfort of a rich, homemade quiche, with buttery pastry, salty bacon and sweet orange and onions. A perfect winter combination and a delicious dinnertime recipe.
- 400g plain flour
- 200g unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 200ml single cream
- 100ml semi-skimmed milk
- ½ zest large orange
- 140g mature cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp Montecoppe Red Onion and Orange Peel chutney
- Pre-heat the Smeg Pizza Stone in the base of the oven at 160oC for 45 minutes, on Turbo cooking function.
- In the Smeg stand mixer, add the flour and butter. Using the dough hook, mix on speed 3 for approximately 1 minute, until resembling fine breadcrumbs. Add chilled water, 1 tbsp at a time, until the mixture pulls into a ball. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat. Fry the bacon for 2 minutes until lightly cooked.
- With a fork, beat together the eggs, cream, milk and orange. Season well. Add the cheese and half of the bacon.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the pasty into an even circle, around ½ cm thick. Grease a metal 24cm flan dish, line with the pastry, prick the base and pour in the filling mixture (using the Smeg Pizza Stone means no blind-baking is required, as the stone cooks from bottom to top).
- Place the dish onto the hot Pizza Stone. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and spread a thin layer of the Montecoppe chutney over the quiche, along with the remaining bacon.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until golden. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Tip: Ensure the flan dish is metal, not ceramic, as this ensures it can reach high temperatures safely.